Sunday, January 13, 2013

My husband called me an alchemist.

He was only teasing. I promise he still loves me. And he did, too.


This week is going surprisingly better than I thought.

I've read a few different ways of jumping into this No Poo thing. Some go at it very gradually; they wait a few days longer in between washes using their normal shampoo and/or add a little of the baking soda mixture into dwindling shampoo bottles.

Or you can jump right into using No Poo but still wash every other day.

Or you could go full force and wash your hair only once or twice a week! 

I should also clarify the point of this No Poo thing. Really, there are a few different goals and it's because you can personalize this whole process. But basically, it's to

break the cycle. 

Of using shampoo daily, that is. Shampooing regularly has only been around for about 100 years or so. Seriously! The saying women used, "Sorry, I have to wash my hair" actually had some truth to it. Ladies only washed their hair ONCE A MONTH. And their hair was gorgeous. 

But consumerism started seeping into our society and that got bumped up to twice a month, once a week, and eventually this notion of washing our hair daily became the norm. Oh, consumerism. 



I suppose I should give a little backstory to my hair-washing habits.

My hair isn't super curly. It's naturally wavy. And big. And poofy. Lovely. Basically, I have to do something to my hair or it's a wild mess. Usually I put mousse or some sort of hair gel in it and let it air dry curly. I don't flat iron it often.

That being said, I do not wash my curly hair every day. It's at least every other day, sometimes a day more. Over the years, I've learned (especially with curly hair) that it's better to not wash every day. Curly hair thrives on moisture; otherwise, it's frizzy :(

Remember how normal shampoo dries your hair out?? Because you use it every day? Hmmm...Starting to come full circle here, people.



The beginning stages of my transformation into a hippie. 

That's about how I feel. No offense to real life hippies out there. 

This is the basic recipe most everyone starts with, and what I used:

  • 1tbsp baking soda in 1 cup water.
  • 1 tbsp ACV (apple cider vinegar) in 1 cup water & a few drops of tea tree oil. 

The tea tree oil is supposed to help with super dryness and flakes and maybe help mask the smell of vinegar. You can also used some herbs or essential oils.

What are you supposed to put this stuff in? For now, I'm using small tupperware containers. But I'm heading to the dollar store later to find some squeeze bottles and/or spray bottles so I can be more precise with the application.



I'll be back Wednesday to let you know how the first week went!







No comments:

Post a Comment