Wednesday, January 9, 2013

No Poo...

Yes, you read that right.


No, I'm not constipated.


'No Poo' is the shortened 'No Shampoo' Method.


And no, I'm not crazy, I promise!

(Or a hippie)


So if I'm not using shampoo to wash my hair, am I still washing my hair??!

Don't worry, I'm still washing my hair. Silly. Just not the "normal" way, I suppose...

I don't even remember how I heard of this craziness...that's what I thought when I read about it the first time, anyway. I thought it was too granola for me, and I didn't care about saving the earth or saving money or blah blah blah. It just wasn't me. (Wow, I kinda sound snobby, huh? I promise I'm not. Just being honest!)

So over the past 6 months or so, I've found myself going back to this subject, reading countless websites and blogs.

You see, I like to be informed before I do anything. Like, fully informed. I want all the information and facts possible so I can make an informed, well educated decision.

That's a lot of information.

I've been trying to slowly work myself up to it. First, I told my husband about it to make sure he wouldn't leave me out of fear or realization that he'd married a crazy person.

Then, I bought the supplies. (more on this later)

I set my supplies out.

I walked by them every day and they just stared at me. Taunting me. But I wasn't ready. (Really, I think I was just nervous to try something so different!)

I read more blogs.

More websites.

And finally, today, I just did it. I realized that there was a wealth of almost unending information and opinion on this topic. I needed to just dive in and experience it for myself first hand. Because a lot of this is trial and error.

I'm a little nervous. And unsure. And I feel slightly crazy and hippie-like. But mostly, I'm excited.




And I'm sure you are probably excited to know what exactly I'm doing, right?? If you have even read this far...

The No Poo Method strays from the conventional shampoos and conditioners. It uses 2 basic ingredients you will most likely find in your pantry:

  1. Baking soda
  2. Apple Cider Vinegar 
Yep. Crazy, right? Stay with me here. Baking soda is a cleaning agent, yes? It has numerous uses. And it's used in toothpaste. Heck, I'm pretty sure it used to be the ONLY thing used to clean those pearly whites.

So why is it so far out to use it to clean our hair? We've become accustomed to a vicious cycle when it comes to hair care. And when it comes down to it, in my honest opinion, it's all about making money for these businesses.

Most shampoos, while they smell lovely and foam up to make a nice later, are full of chemicals. Everything is these days. Those very harsh chemicals 'clean' your hair, but they also strip your hair of natural oils. Now your hair is dry.

Oh, no worries, have some conditioner (more chemicals). I've read that a few actually have wax in them, as well, which is why your hair is so silky and smooth. For about 5 minutes.

So THEN there's a mountain of other hair care products you load onto your hair to get it to maybe stay styled for the day.

And since your hair is so full of gunk, it's left feeling heavy/greasy/frizzy/flat/gross. Those are not fun words for hair. So the cycle continues. And you spend lots of money and time "fixing" your problematic hair.

Unless you're super lucky and have great natural, beautiful hair. In which case, I dislike you.

Not really, I'm just jealous. But seriously, why are you reading this then? ;)




There is much more to be said about this, but I won't here. There are tons of websites that go into way more detail.

Over the next 30 days or so, I will be trying and experimenting with this process to see if it's for me. It might not me. It's not for everyone. Since it's such a shock to our hair, it takes 2-4 weeks to adjust. Also known as the transition period. I really want to try this for a few reasons:

  • My scalp has been so SUPER dry and flaky! This natural method can be used to treat this, and if used regularly (no shampoo) the problem is said to not resurface. 
  • It's natural. I've been exploring other natural and organic things as well.
  • It is cheap! Not my number one reason, but hey, I'm not complaining!



Sorry for the super long post! The rest will hopefully not be so long. I'll try to be back every few days with updates!



No comments:

Post a Comment